SUSTAINABILITY CONSULTANT / PROJECT ARCHITECT,
LOCATION: Philadelphia, PA or Raleigh, NC
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree
REGISTRATION/CERTIFICATIONS: Professional architectural license preferred but not required.
EXPERIENCE: 4 - 6+ years
- The role of this position is split between sustainability consulting work and architectural project work, with most of the time spent on project sustainability consulting and further development of the firm’s sustainable design workflow on projects. Ideally the potential candidate has flexibility to participate in both roles.
Specific to the Sustainability Consultant role:
- Substantial knowledge of sustainable design concepts, strategies, and implementation and the ability to teach these to less experienced staff.
- Project experience supporting project teams with sustainability design consulting including, but not limited to, client coordination to determine project sustainability goals, analyzing project designs to identify sustainable design recommendations, project team engagement via workshops/goal setting sessions include preparation and facilitation, etc.
- An understanding of sustainable building rating systems and project experience in the management of sustainability certifications such as LEED and facilitating the work of the certification over the duration of the project, including the preparation and submission of certification documentation.
- Is passionate about sustainable design and engaging others in thoughtful discussion about sustainability and has supported this through educational activities, career pathway, and professional credentials
General responsibilities of this position:
- Project experience with clients in sectors including Higher Ed, Pharmaceutical, Biopharma & Biotech, and other Science & Tech Industries is preferred by not required.
- Involved in all phases of a project, from concept to close-out, with proven expertise on projects of various scales and technical complexities.
- Supervises small to medium teams; with the ability to produce, delegate, and coordinate the work of internal support and external consultants.
- Collaborate and contribute to construction document production.
- Ability to preliminarily review all drawings, specifications, code analysis, material selections, and specifications before finalizing with the Project Manager or Partner-In-Charge
- Attend and lead client meetings and regularly interfaces with clients and consultants
- Meet with Project Manager or the Partner-In-Charge on a regular basis to ensure projects are executed according to clients’ goals and expectations.
- Communicates staffing deficiencies and needs to the Project manager or Partner-in-Charge.
- Understands the required scope of work and is responsible for the team’s execution of the work in an efficient but thorough manner
- Identifies and employs methods for improving the quality of documentation for the firm to mitigate risk
- Is detailed oriented, organized, skilled in managing large amounts of information, and managing project schedules and deliverables.
- Is an advocate for teamwork, superior client service and design excellence and encourages team members and consultants to keep these as a priority throughout the duration of a project.
- Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in Architecture
- Professional architectural license preferred but not required
- Professional sustainability credentials as a LEED AP and/or has credentials in another rating system such as WELL AP, LFA, etc.
- Personally passionate about sustainability and can communicate that enthusiasm and knowledge to project teams and clients.
- 4 - 6 years’ experience in an architecture office with at least 2 years’ experience of sustainability consulting.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent organizational and schedule management skills
- Ability to use sound and independent judgment
- Solid understanding of building and life safety code
- Proven ability to support/lead sustainable design consulting during the concept, design, implementation, and construction phases.
- Willingness to self-educate and educate other about sustainable design strategies and tools
- Proven ability to lead the design, documentation, and construction administration process
- Proficiency in Revit
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) is a plus