Blossom Hill, completed in 1916, was the summer home of Wawa’s founder Grahame Wood and the latest expansion of the Red Roof campus as part of an overall masterplan. The renovation and acquisition of Blossom Hill from another family member allows the Red Roof Campus to be connected to Blossom Hill which is a short walk up a steep hill from the main campus and serves as another venue for conferences and meetings.
The historic property has been renovated and restored for its new use as a conference center to support the company’s continued growth as well as an exterior gathering place for the Wawa Associates to meet under a tent. Site improvements include a hardscape terrace area, and a hardscape for a temporary tent structure that can accommodate 900 associates for meetings, a new vehicular access road and turnaround area will connect Blossom Hill to the Wawa Campus parking lot with a pedestrian path and lighting.
Significant restoration to the exterior and interior of the structure was necessary. The exterior received a new slate roof, majority new windows, improved insulations to meet energy codes, new copper flashing and gutters and repairs to the woodwork. The exterior renovations were in keeping and respectful of the building designed by the Philadelphia Architects Stern and Castor. In the interior, new wood paneling and trim is integrated with the existing and new flooring throughout for a seamless appearance. The facility was made code compliant by raising the height of the banister on the existing stair and adding a new egress stair and elevator. All the plaster on the walls was removed to allow for new plumbing, electrical, and fire suppression fixtures and lines. Finishes and furniture were selected to marry the historic building and todays workplace. Special detail was taken to display artifacts and artwork from the Wawa archives which were carefully researched and framed. The finished space both reflects the organizations current culture and honors the legacy of Wawa and its founder.